The reason I am writing today is to talk about my immense love and awe for google. Today I started reading the google blog.There are so many amazing google tricks that I didn't even know about! Here are a few. (Ha ha, list time again! Woohoo!)
1. The Google Wave is what got all of this started today. I'm really excited to see this come out. I've already thought of a lot of ways it could be very useful.
2. How many of you know about Google Squared? It's a google search, but it puts the results in a matrix. Here's a search I tried today. So sweet!
3. Until today, I never even knew there was a google.ORG. Who would've guessed? Well, "Google.org aspires to use the power of information and technology to address the global challenges of our age." So here are a couple cool tricks I would like to identify from it.
- First, Flu Trends. You can see information that shows where in the world, and nation the flu is hitting hardest. You can also see data from the last five years. Try to remember last time you had a real bad case of the flu, and see if we peaked at that time.
- Second, check out the Google PowerMeter. Apparently it tracks how much power you are using in your home at any given moment. I have yet to test it, but it seems way cool! Maybe I can convince Adam to turn down the AC if he can see how much energy it uses... >:)
4.1. I know I said finally, whoops. I actually have one more thing. I've downloaded Google Chrome which is a new web browser just like Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. Google Chrome claims to be faster than it's competitors. So far, I'm a believer. I've really enjoyed using it, and discovered today that they've made new artistic themes for the browser. Woot! I can't wait to try them out.
4.2. Okay, okay, this is really the last one. I signed up for a gmail account almost a year ago. At first I couldn't see what all the hype was about (and when I say hype, I mean that most the people I knew had @gmail.com in their email address). At first it was a little awkward to not be able to 'Move to Folder.' In gmail, you label emails and then 'archive' them. I didn't realize it at first, but it's genius! I love the way gmail works, and I get anxious every time I have to login to my other account where the mail is hot. ;)
I probably shouldn't admit to this much geekyness, but it really excites me. When I'm in team meetings at work, and a problem is presented, I always seem to find a way that a google tool will fix it. But alas, there are a few things that would have to change before my company could operate that way.
I hope this blog has helped you in your technological journey. If you have a problem that you are having a hard time solving, send it to me and I'll give it the google challenge. =)
You need to check out elnabaker.com next time your board, she has written a book and has tons of funny stories, I think you would like them, especially if you ever get bored.
ReplyDeleteI too LOVE your title for this post!!